Monday, April 30, 2018

Made-Up Word of the Month: Charalamentation

Once again I'm blogging about those feelings and experiences that only book lovers can understand, by making up words to describe them. Each month, on the last Monday of the month, I'll post a new word.


Charalamentation
[kar-i-lam-uh n-tey-shuh n]
noun.
1. An expression of grief or sorrow over the death of a fictional character.

“I have been in a state of charalamentation for days after reading about the death of my favorite character.”


The best books make you fall in love with their characters, so it's only natural that when something terrible happens to them it feels like having your heart ripped out. I was left in a serious state of charalamentation after reading The Hunger Games. That book just left me feeling gutted, and there's been plenty of others that had me weeping by the end.

What's a book that made you cry? Share in the comments below about a character who's passing left you grieving.


If you liked this word, you might like:
Disreadspect
Fantastorize

3 comments:

  1. Intresting, Lauryn. There are many. Sometimes, I am really sad about a minor character getting killed off, though I never realised I cared about them. In 'Unearthed After Sunset', I was very sad about Archer's former girlfriend being killed. The description of him hating the bin 'looking at her' and kicking it, was so vivid.
    On main characters in classics, Cordelia in King Lear is one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cordelia in King Lear! I completely agree. I love that I can talk Shakespeare with you.

      Delete
    2. Any day, Lauryn. I am a complete Shakespeare Geek.
      The greatest writer of all time, and so few people read him today; they're missing out on so much. Some people say they go to hearts and flowers happy ever after ecapism when they are really upset about something upsetitng happening in real life - but not me; it's Shakespeare every time to get a perspective.

      Delete

Indie Book Goal 2018