Over the last few month's I've graduated with a BA in Psych, bought a house, and started a new job. For those of you who follow my blog I'm sure you've noticed that I haven't been posting as regularly as I used to. I fell out of my rhythm, and it's gotten a lot harder to make time to write. But, I'm working on getting my groove back.
Below are some tips I've been using to make time to write with my increasingly busy schedule.
1. Use what's going on in your life to inspire your writing, like blogging about how to find time to write when your life seems to be getting busier.
2. Schedule time to write. Put it on your "To Do" list every day, and set reasonable goals, like write for 30 minutes or even just 15. It's more important to write a little every day than to knock out a large chunk of words. You want to be able to accomplish the goals you set.
3. Make sure the time you do have to write is distraction free. Don't multi-task writing and catching up on your favorite TV show. Devote whatever chunk of time you set aside for writing for just writing.
4. Be flexible. Life changes, schedules change. If you can't write for your 30 minutes at your normal time try to fit it in later in the day or adjust your schedule for the next day. Don't give up just because you missed your usual writing window.
5. Don't give up. If you fall into a slump where you haven't gotten any writing done for a while, it's never too late to start up again.
I hope these tips help. If you have any advice to share on how to make time to write please comment below.