Thursday, January 11, 2018

Review of Mind Hunter by John Douglas and Mark Olshaker

4 Stars. Completely Fascinating. I was completely sucked in for the first half of this novel. I couldn't put it down. If you have any interest in the psychology of serial killers and why they do what they do, this book will interest you. However, the author can be a little arrogant at times and my interest waned a little for the second half of the book. 

I read a lot of fiction, so for me, this book lost steam about half-way through. Maybe that's because it's a memoir? You get a lot of information about John in the beginning and how this behavioral science unit originally came about, but after a while, you're just reading about one case after another and in a way it got a little repetitive. The stories were still interesting, but you came to expect certain things from them. I will say though that it was definitely worth pushing through until the end. There were a number of times where something a little different would happen and things got interesting again, but I didn't fly through the end of the book like I did the beginning.

Also, I liked the bit of information on Jack the Ripper at the end, but I almost wish it had just been left out. I would have read an entire book just on Jack the Ripper and only getting a short few pages about him didn't feel like enough. It felt a little out of place.

Overall, I feel like I learned things reading this book and truly enjoyed reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Indie Book Goal 2018